The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) has released their 2017 statistics. These figures measure cosmetic surgeries, non-surgical cosmetic treatments, and reconstructive surgery procedures performed in the United States. They offer insight into trends among patients and in the industry, and also reveal what kinds of aesthetic concerns are on people’s minds today.
The team at our Dallas, TX plastic surgery and cosmetic skin care center would like to go over some key facts and figures from the ASPS findings. This will offer an overview of plastic surgery trends.
The Total Number of Procedures in 2017
In 2017, there were a grand total of 17.5 million cosmetic procedures performed. That figure includes both traditional cosmetic surgeries (facelift, breast implants, liposuction) as well as non-surgical approaches to aesthetic enhancement (cosmetic injections, skin resurfacing, facials).
How Do These Numbers Compare to 2016?
In 2016, the ASPS recorded almost 17.2 million cosmetic procedures. Overall, the number of cosmetic procedures increased by 2 percent in 2017. This is part of a continuing upward trend as cosmetic procedures become more of a part of people’s lives.
The Top 5 Plastic Surgery Procedures of 2017
The top five plastic surgery procedures performed in 2017 were:
- Breast Augmentation - There were 300,378 breast augmentations performed in 2017, an increase of 3 percent over 2016 numbers.
- Liposuction - There were 246,354 liposuctions performed in 2017, which was an increase of 5 percent over 2016 numbers.
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Reshaping) - There were 218,924 nose reshaping surgeries performed in 2017, a 2 percent decrease from 2016.
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) - There were 209,571 eye lift surgeries in 2017. This was only 551 more total eye lifts than 2016 statistics.
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) - There were 129,753 tummy tucks performed in 2017, a 2 percent increase over figures from 2016.
The ASPS also noticed an 11 percent increase in breast reduction surgery in 2017. ASPS President Jeffrey E. Janis, MD noted that breast reduction tends to have a high patent satisfaction rating, and enhances body contour, general health, and an overall sense of well being.
The Top 5 Minimally Invasive Cosmetic Procedures of 2017
The top five minimally invasive procedures performed in 2017 were:
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (Botox® Injections, Dysport®, Xeomin®) - There were 7.2 million botulinum injections in 2017, an increase of 2 percent over 2016 numbers.
- Dermal Fillers - Covering a wide range of popular cosmetic injections, there were 2.7 million dermal filler treatments in 2017, a 3 percent increase from 2016.
- Chemical Peels - There were 1.4 millions chemical peels performed in 2017, a 1 percent increase from 2016.
- Laser Hair Removal - There were 1,086,830 laser hair removal procedures in 2017, a decrease of 2 percent from 2016.
- Microdermabrasion - There were 740,287 microdermabrasion procedures performed in 2017, which was down 4 percent from 2016 figures.
There was a notable 19 percent increase in non-surgical cellulite treatment during 2017. Given how difficult cellulite can be to eliminate on your own, it’s no surprise people would turn to cosmetic professionals for assistance in higher numbers.
What the Number May Mean Moving Forward
The increase in cosmetic procedures from 2017 to 2016 is part of a general upward trend in the cosmetic procedures since the start of the 21st century. For perspective, just 7.4 million cosmetic procedures were recorded in ASPS statistics from the year 2000.
More patients may opt for non-invasive procedures moving forward since they reduce downtime and have minimal side effects. There could also be an increasing trend in certain body contouring procedures in the coming years as bariatric surgery patients undergo cosmetic surgery to reduce the amount of loose and drooping skin on their frame.